Countability and irregular noun forms — Level 2a

Countability and irregular noun forms — Level 2a

Topik Pilihan:
Price:

Read more

Irregular Verbs Quiz

Countability and irregular noun forms — Level 2a

Nouns can be countable or uncountable.

Countable nouns can have a/an or the before them and can be used both in the singular and the plural:
There's a plate, three spoons and a cup on the table.
Uncountable nouns cannot have a/an before them and cannot be used in the plural:
We have rice and some cheese but we haven't any wine.

Top 10 uncountable noun errors

In the Cambridge Learner Corpus these are the ten most common uncountable nouns that intermediate students try to pluralize by adding an 's'. The intermediate students were taking exams such as PET (the Preliminary English Test) and FCE (the First Certificate in English). Try to remember that these nouns cannot be used in the plural.
1 information
2 equipment
3 transport
4 homework
5 knowledge
6 countryside
7 advice
8 furniture
9 paper (= material used for writing on)
10 stuff

Some and any

You can use some and any with plural countable nouns:
► There are some cakes left. 
► Are there any biscuits?
You can use some and any with uncountable nouns:
I'd like some sugar in my coffee. 
► Is there any water in the jug?

Much, many, a lot of, a few

You can use many and a few with plural countable nouns:
Did you take many photographs?
► I've got a few friends who live in London.

You can use much with uncountable nouns:
I haven't got much news to tell you.

You can re a lot of with both plural countable nouns and with uncountable nouns:
Did you take a lot of photographs?
► I haven't got a lot of news to tell you.

Nouns which can be both countable and uncountable

Some nouns can be used both countably and uncountably: a fish/fish, a glass/glass, a hair/hair, a chocolate/chocolate
When we use these nouns countably we refer to particular things:
There are some glasses on the table.
► I caught a fish at the lake.

When we use these nouns uncountably we refer to the thing in general:
Careful. There's broken glass on the floor.
► I'd like fish and chips for dinner.

Quiz

1. Large windows let in ( light / a light ).



2. I put ( some jam / some jams ) on the bread.



3. Those children don't get ( many love / much love ).



4. I want to buy ( some new furniture / some new furnitures ).



5. Do you want ( some bread / some breads ) to go with your meal?



6. Have you finished your ( homework / homeworks )?



7. I need to have my ( hair / hairs ) cut.



8. I couldn't work because I had ( flu / a flu ).



9. Simon bought ( magazine / a magazine ) to read on the train.



10. My brother is ( an invalid / invalid ).



Jumlah Benar: 0



Complete these statement!.

  • The most interesting thing I learned in this chapter was ...
  • The part I enjoyed most was ...
  • I would like to find more about ...
  • The hardest part in this chapter was ...
  • I need to work harder at ...
  • My plan to overcome the difficulties of this chapter are ...


Informasi lainnya yang terkait dapat diakses pada tautan berikut ini

Terima kasih atas kunjungan Anda