Expressing Stance (Formally and Informally)

Expressing Stance (Formally and Informally)

Topik Pilihan:
Price:

Read more

Expressing Stance (Formally and Informally)

  • 10 Common Idioms and Their Meanings

    1. Speak your mind = Mengungkapkan pendapat dengan jujur.
    2. See eye to eye = Sependapat atau setuju.
    3. Agree to disagree = Sepakat untuk tidak sependapat.
    4. Have a point = Memiliki alasan atau pendapat yang masuk akal.
    5. Food for thought = Sesuatu yang patut dipikirkan.
    6. Take a stand = Menyatakan sikap atau pendirian.
    7. Get the wrong end of the stick = Salah paham.
    8. On the same page = Memiliki pemahaman atau pendapat yang sama.
    9. Open-minded = Bersikap terbuka terhadap pendapat orang lain.
    10. Hear someone out = Mendengarkan pendapat seseorang sampai selesai.



    Learn About It!

    Every day, we express our opinions about many things. We may talk about school, healthy food, sports, movies, music, social media, or environmental issues. When we tell others what we think, feel, or believe about something, we are expressing our stance.

    A stance is a person's opinion, attitude, or position toward an issue. Your stance can support, oppose, or remain neutral. Expressing your stance politely helps people understand your ideas and encourages meaningful discussion.

    For example, you may have an opinion about gardening at school, eating healthy food, public transportation, or using smartphones in the classroom. Everyone may have different opinions, and that is perfectly normal. The important thing is to express your ideas politely and respect the opinions of others.

    There are two common ways to express a stance:

    • Formal expressions are used in presentations, speeches, debates, meetings, classrooms, or academic discussions.
    • Informal expressions are used when talking with friends, classmates, or family members.

    Asking for Someone's Opinion

    Some common expressions for asking someone's opinion are:

    • What do you think about...?
    • What is your opinion about...?
    • What do you think of...?
    • How do you feel about...?
    • What would you say about that?
    • Do you agree?
    • What's your view on...?
    • How do you see it?
    • What's your idea about...?
    • Could you share your opinion?

    Expressing Your Opinion Formally

    These expressions are suitable for presentations, classroom discussions, debates, and formal conversations.

    • In my opinion,...
    • In my view,...
    • From my point of view,...
    • Personally, I think...
    • I believe that...
    • I strongly believe that...
    • I feel that...
    • As far as I am concerned,...
    • It seems to me that...
    • To my mind,...
    • In my experience,...
    • I would like to point out that...
    • I would suggest that...
    • I would argue that...

    Expressing Your Opinion Informally

    These expressions are commonly used in everyday conversations.

    • I think...
    • I guess...
    • I feel...
    • If you ask me,...
    • I'd say...
    • To be honest,...
    • For me,...
    • I don't think...
    • I agree.
    • I disagree.
    • You're right.
    • I don't think so.
    • Maybe you're right.
    • That's true.
    • I don't feel the same way.

    Expressing General Opinions

    Sometimes we want to express an opinion that represents many people instead of ourselves.

    • It is believed that...
    • It is thought that...
    • It is considered that...
    • It is generally accepted that...
    • Many people believe that...
    • Some people think that...
    • Most people agree that...
    • People often say that...

    Agreeing Politely

    When you agree with someone's opinion, you can say:

    • I agree with you.
    • I completely agree.
    • That's true.
    • Exactly.
    • You're absolutely right.
    • I couldn't agree more.
    • That's a good point.
    • I think so too.

    Disagreeing Politely

    When you disagree, remember to stay polite.

    • I don't agree.
    • I'm afraid I don't agree.
    • I see your point, but...
    • I have a different opinion.
    • I'm not sure about that.
    • I don't think that's true.
    • Perhaps, but...
    • I respect your opinion, however...

    Useful Expressions

    • What do you think?
    • In my opinion...
    • Personally, I believe...
    • I strongly disagree.
    • I agree with you.
    • That's an interesting idea.
    • Could you explain why?
    • I understand your point.
    • Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    • Everyone has different opinions.

    Grammar Review

    When expressing opinions, we usually use the Simple Present Tense because opinions and beliefs express general thoughts.

    Examples:

    • I think gardening is enjoyable.
    • She believes healthy food is important.
    • They don't agree with that idea.
    • Do you think exercise is necessary?
    • He believes everyone should eat a balanced diet.

    Modal auxiliaries are also frequently used to express suggestions and opinions.

    Examples:

    • Students should eat healthy food.
    • We must respect other people's opinions.
    • People can have different ideas.
    • We shouldn't judge others quickly.

    Situational Conversation 1 – Gardening

    A: What do you think about gardening at school?
    B: In my opinion, gardening makes our school cleaner and greener.
    A: I agree. It also teaches students responsibility.


    Situational Conversation 2 – Healthy Eating

    A: What do you think about eating healthy food?
    B: Personally, I think healthy food gives us more energy.
    A: I agree, but we can still enjoy snacks occasionally.


    Situational Conversation 3 – Being Overweight

    A: What is your opinion about being overweight?
    B: I believe everyone should stay healthy, but we should never judge people by their appearance.
    A: That's a very good point.


    Situational Conversation 4 – Solving a Problem

    A: Debbie and Joel always argue. What do you think Pete should do?
    B: In my opinion, Pete should help them talk calmly and understand each other's feelings.
    A: I completely agree.


    Situational Conversation 5 – Healthy Lifestyle

    A: What do you think about living a healthy lifestyle?
    B: I think eating balanced meals and exercising regularly are very important.
    A: I couldn't agree more.


    Situational Conversation 6 – Movies

    A: What did you think of the movie?
    B: I loved it. The story was interesting.
    A: Really? I thought it was a little boring.
    B: That's okay. Everyone has different opinions.


    Tips to Remember

    • Use formal expressions in presentations, debates, speeches, and classroom discussions.
    • Use informal expressions when talking with friends and family.
    • Listen carefully before giving your opinion.
    • Respect different opinions, even when you disagree.
    • Support your opinion with clear reasons or examples.
    • Avoid offensive or impolite language.
    • Remember that expressing your stance means sharing your ideas respectfully, not forcing others to agree with you.

    Expressing opinions politely is an important communication skill. Good discussions happen when people listen carefully, speak respectfully, and appreciate different points of view.


see also English Debate

Jawablah pertanyaan-pertanyaan berikut dengan jujur dan bertanggungjawab!

No. Pertanyaan Jawaban
01. Saya mengetahui arti kata-kata pada pada teks di atas
Ya Tidak
02. Saya bisa mengucapkan kata-kata sesuai dengan audio/video yang disajikan
Ya Tidak
03. Saya bisa memperagakan percakapan dengan membaca teks yang tersedia
Ya Tidak
04. Saya bisa memperagakan percakapan dengan sedikit membaca teks
Ya Tidak
05. Saya bisa memperagakan tanpa membaca teks
Ya Tidak
06. Saya bisa memperagakan tanpa membaca teks disertai dengan variasi baru atau pengembangan teks
Ya Tidak
07. Saya bisa membuat karya video terkait dengan percakapan yang diperagakan
Ya Tidak
08. Saya bisa membuat video dan telah disosialisasikan pada sosial media yang saya miliki
Ya Tidak

Bila ada jawaban "Tidak", maka segera lakukan review pembelajaran, terutama pada bagian yang masih "Tidak".

Bila semua jawaban "Ya", maka Anda dapat melanjutkan ke pembelajaran berikutnya.


Buatlah jurnal harian untuk membantumu dalam mempercepat proses pembelajaran dengan menjawab soal evaluasi diri berikut ini.

  • Apakah yang kamu telah pelajari pada bagian ini?
  • Apa yang menarik pada sesi ini?
  • Apa kendala yang kamu alami?
  • Apa yang kamu lakukan untuk mengatasi kendala tersebut?


Informasi lainnya yang terkait dapat diakses pada tautan berikut ini

Terima kasih atas kunjungan Anda