Advice and Recommendation

Advice and Recommendation

Topik Pilihan:
Price:

Read more

 

Advice and Recommendation

Objectives

After studying this lesson, you will be able to:

  • identify expressions of advice and recommendation in a conversation.
  • understand why people give advice.
  • use appropriate expressions to give advice and recommendations.
  • respond politely to advice and recommendations.

Learn about it!

Have you ever argued with your friends about food, health, or lifestyle? Sometimes our friends give us advice because they care about us. However, advice can also cause misunderstanding if it is delivered or received in the wrong way.

Let's learn from Episode 3.



Situation

Debbie, Joel, Pete, and Jess are working together in a community garden. During lunch break, Debbie criticises Joel's eating habits, while Joel comments on Debbie's diet. Their conversation turns into an argument.

Read some excerpts from the video.

Debbie: You don't need crisps and bread. And you certainly don't need chocolate biscuits.

Joel: You're on one of those stupid diets.

Debbie: I eat healthily. You eat unhealthily.

Jess: Come on, guys. We don't have to argue about this.

Later, Pete talks privately to Debbie.

Pete: Do you think he's got a point? You know, about you not eating a balanced diet and not eating enough?

After meeting Pete's sister, Debbie learns that staying healthy does not mean skipping meals.

Pete: Three balanced meals a day. And she doesn't go on diets.

Finally, Joel and Debbie apologise and make healthier choices.

Joel: I've just decided not to eat my crisps and my chocolate after all.

Debbie: You can have my yoghurt if I can have your chocolate.


Think About It

Answer the following questions.

  1. Why did Debbie tell Joel not to eat crisps and chocolate biscuits?
  2. Why did Joel think Debbie was on a diet?
  3. Why did Jess ask them to stop arguing?
  4. What advice did Pete give Debbie?
  5. What did Debbie and Joel learn at the end of the story?

What is Advice?

Advice is an opinion or suggestion that helps someone make a better decision or avoid a problem.

In the video, the characters give advice because they care about each other's health.

Examples:

  • You don't need crisps and bread.
  • You don't need chocolate biscuits.
  • You should eat a balanced diet.
  • You shouldn't skip meals.

Notice that some advice sounds polite, while others sound rude. The way we express advice is very important.


What is a Recommendation?

A recommendation is a suggestion about the best choice or action.

In the video, Pete recommends a healthier lifestyle by sharing his sister's habits.

Pete: Three balanced meals a day. She doesn't go on diets. She goes to the gym twice a week.

Pete is recommending healthy habits instead of unhealthy dieting.


Expressions of Advice

ExpressionExample from the topic
You should...You should eat a balanced diet.
You shouldn't...You shouldn't skip meals.
You'd better...You'd better eat enough vegetables.
You'd better not...You'd better not eat too much junk food.
Why don't you...?Why don't you eat more fruit?
If I were you, I'd...If I were you, I'd eat three balanced meals a day.
You need to...You need to drink more water.

Expressions of Recommendation

ExpressionExample
I recommend...I recommend eating more vegetables.
I recommend that you...I recommend that you eat balanced meals.
I suggest...I suggest going to the gym twice a week.
You could...You could replace crisps with fruit.
It would be better to...It would be better to prepare healthy lunches.

Language Focus

Giving Advice

Pete: You should eat a balanced diet.

Debbie: Maybe you're right.


Giving Recommendation

Joel: I want to eat more healthily.

Pete: I recommend preparing your lunch at home.


Helpful Responses

Accepting Advice

  • That's a good idea.
  • You're right.
  • Thanks for your advice.
  • I'll try that.
  • I'll think about it.

Rejecting Advice Politely

  • Thanks, but I prefer another way.
  • I understand your point, but...
  • Maybe, but I don't think that's right for me.
  • I appreciate your advice.

Key Points

From Episode 3, we learn that:

  • Advice is given to help someone make better decisions.
  • Recommendations suggest the best choice or action.
  • Advice should be given politely and respectfully.
  • Good communication helps avoid arguments.
  • Healthy eating means having a balanced diet, not simply eating less.

Let's Practise!

A. Identify the Expressions

Read the sentences from the video. Write Advice (A) or Recommendation (R).

  1. You don't need crisps and bread. ________
  2. Three balanced meals a day. ________
  3. I recommend eating healthy food. ________
  4. You should eat enough vegetables. ________
  5. You'd better not skip breakfast. ________

B. Complete the Conversation

Choose the best expression.

Joel: I often eat crisps every afternoon.

Pete: __________________________.

A. You should eat more fruit instead.

B. I hate gardening.

C. That's impossible.


Debbie: I only eat salad every day.

Pete: __________________________.

A. You should eat a balanced diet.

B. I don't care.

C. You're funny.


Jess: I want to be healthier.

Sophie: __________________________.

A. I recommend exercising twice a week.

B. That's your problem.

C. Never mind.


C. Pair Work

Work with your partner.

One student describes a healthy or unhealthy habit.

The other student gives one piece of advice and one recommendation.

Example:

Student A:
I often skip breakfast because I wake up late.

Student B:
You shouldn't skip breakfast.
I recommend preparing your breakfast the night before.


Reflection

After watching Episode 3, answer the questions below.

  1. Which character gave the best advice? Why?
  2. Was Debbie's advice polite? Explain.
  3. What advice would you give Joel?
  4. What recommendation would you give Debbie?
  5. What healthy habit will you start this week?

Key Takeaway

Good advice is not only about saying the right thing—it is also about saying it politely. Episode 3 shows that honest advice can strengthen friendships when it is delivered with respect and accepted with an open mind.