Telephone Courtesy (Formal English)

Telephone Courtesy (Formal English)

Topik Pilihan:
Price:

Read more

Welcome to study English. In this series we will learn how to make a formal telephone conversation from greeting to ending the conversation. You will learn the steps and tips of telephoning. 
In making the telephone conversation, we have to consider the following:
1. To answer a telephone immediately. Nobody likes waiting. If you are late in answering that call, please explain the reason why, and say sorry to the caller. 
2. To inform one of your office mates if you want to leave your work place. Someone might call you while you are out of the work place. 
3. To pay attention on your pronouciation, tone, volume, and speed if speech when you talk to someone. 
4. To be lively when talk to someone
5. To talk normally, effectively, and efficiently
6. Not to answer by saying 'hello' only because it will be a waste if time. 
7. Not to disconnect the line before the conversation is finished. 
8. To write down the message that you have to pass to someone else, especially the caller's name, date, and time. 
9. To handle the telephone call in a relaxed way but seriously. 
10. Not to use the office telephone for personal purpose. 
11. To be patient in handling the wrong number call. Please say 'sorry' and 'thank you' to the person who receives your call
12. To include someone's title such as Professor/Doctor/Colonel if you know it. We are usually happy if our title is mentioned. 
13. To implement the telephone courtesies until you get used to them. 

Here some useful expression in telephoning. 

TALKING TO AN OPERATOR
- Hello, this room number... Can you get me...? 
- Hello, I am trying to call ... (number) ... (country) ...

INFORMING TELEPHONE NUMBER
- My mobile phone number is.... 
- My telephone number is ...

ENGLISH TELEPHONE SPELLING
- Alfa is for A
- Bravo is for B
- Charlie is for C
- Delta is for D
- Echo is for E
- Foxtrot is for F
- Golf is for G
- Hotel is for H
- India is for I
- Juliet is for J
- Kilo is for K
- Lima is for L
- Mike is for M
- November is for N
- Oscar is for O
- Papa is for P
- Quebec is for Q
- Romeo is for R
- Sierra is for S
- Tango is for T
- Uniform is for U
- Victor is for V
- Whisky is for W
- X-ray is for X
- Yankee is for Y
- Zulu is for Z

INFORMING PROBLEMS
- I am sorry the line is bad I can't almost hear you. 
- I am sorry we cut off

DIFFICULTIES IN COMPREHENDING
- Could you please repeat the name? 
- Could you spell the name?

QUESTIONS AND REPLIES FROM THE OPERATOR. 
- Would you please give me the number? 
- May I know what number you trying to dial?

REPLIES FROM THE PARTY TO WHOM YOU ARE TALKING
- This is Icha speaking, may I help you? 
- Nyoman Cafe, how may I help you?

MESSAGE RECORDING
- Please record your message after the tone and I will call you when I come back. 

WRONG NUMBER
- I am sorry, I think I must have dialed the wrong number.
- I am sorry there must be a mistake.

GETTING THROUGH TO THE PERSON TO WHOM YOU WANT TO TALK
- Could I please speak to Mr Darsika? 
Could you please put me through to Mr Santika, the ....division/ the person in charge of ...

THE PERSON TO WHOM YOU WANT TO TALK IS NOT AVAILABLE
- I am sorry Mr Darsika is busy at the moment
- I am sorry She ia not available

COMMENCING COMMUNICATION
- Hello, Mr Darsika advised me to contact you
- Hello, Mr Santika asked me to call you.

MAKING OR CANCELLING APPOINTMENT
- I am sorry I am calling to cancel the appointment for 10.00 am today.
- I like to make an appointmen with Mr. ...

MAKING RESERVATION
- I'd like to reserve a table for four people for Saturday evening, under Mr Darsika's name.
- I'd like to book a room, please!

MAKING INQUIRY
- May I know what time you close? 
- May I know if you open on Sunday or not?

ENDING COMMUNICATION
- I think that's all. Thank you very much
- All right. Thank you very much.

The above are some expressions that you can use in your phone conversation. The example of phone conversation will be presented in this order.



SITUATIONAL CONVERSATION

A: Good morning, Singaraja Hotel, how may I help you?
B: I am calling on behalf of Mr Darsika from PT Sentosa Raya. I would like to reserve a room for Mr Santika.
A: May I know who is Mr Darsika is?
B: Mr Darsika is a manager of PT Sentosa Raya. And I am his personal assisstant. Mr Darsika has asked me to reserve a room for a client and charge itu to our company's account.
A: Now I understand. When you like to make the reservation for?
B: June 20th to June 25th
A: Does that mean he will be checking out on the 25th or 26 of June?
B: On the 26th of June, after breakfast.
A: Could you please give me Mr. Santika's full name?
B: Certainly, Ari Santika.
A: Ari?
B: Yes, ARI. A as ini Alpha, R as ini Romeo, and I as ini India. 
A: Could you please repeat his family name?
B: Certainly. Santika. S as in Siera, A as in Alpha, N as in November, T as in Tango, I as in India, K as in Kilo, and A as in Alpha.
A: May I know you name and telephone number or whatapps, please?
B: I am Yande. My whatapps is 08585733558.
A: Yande? Would you please say that again?
B: Certainly, Yande. Y as in Yankee, A as in Alpha, N as in November, D as in Delta, and E as in Echo.
A: Thank you Mr Yande, Could you please confirm the reservation by letter or fax?
B: I'd be glad to.

SITUATIONAL CONVERSATION
Bacalah materi yang tersedia, setelah itu putar audio pada tautan yang disediakan, dengarkan kemudian tirukan, lakukan berulang-ulang. Cari teman untuk memperagakan percakapan setelah itu lakukan improvisasi. Langkah terakhir adalah membuat sebuah video terkait kegiatan bermain peran sesuai dengan topik di atas. Selamat berlatih!

Jawablah pertanyaan-pertanyaan berikut dengan jujur dan bertanggungjawab!

No. Pertanyaan Jawaban
01. Saya mengetahui arti kata-kata pada pada teks di atas
Ya Tidak
02. Saya bisa mengucapkan kata-kata sesuai dengan audio/video yang disajikan
Ya Tidak
03. Saya bisa memperagakan percakapan dengan membaca teks yang tersedia
Ya Tidak
04. Saya bisa memperagakan percakapan dengan sedikit membaca teks
Ya Tidak
05. Saya bisa memperagakan tanpa membaca teks
Ya Tidak
06. Saya bisa memperagakan tanpa membaca teks disertai dengan variasi baru atau pengembangan teks
Ya Tidak
07. Saya bisa membuat karya video terkait dengan percakapan yang diperagakan
Ya Tidak
08. Saya bisa membuat video dan telah disosialisasikan pada sosial media yang saya miliki
Ya Tidak

Bila ada jawaban "Tidak", maka segera lakukan review pembelajaran, terutama pada bagian yang masih "Tidak".

Bila semua jawaban "Ya", maka Anda dapat melanjutkan ke pembelajaran berikutnya.


Buatlah jurnal harian untuk membantumu dalam mempercepat proses pembelajaran dengan menjawab soal evaluasi diri berikut ini.

  • Apakah yang kamu telah pelajari pada bagian ini?
  • Apa yang menarik pada sesi ini?
  • Apa kendala yang kamu alami?
  • Apa yang kamu lakukan untuk mengatasi kendala tersebut?


Informasi lainnya yang terkait dapat diakses pada tautan berikut ini